What We Do
Cheynes Training was originally created by Jennifer Cheyne, OBE and William Howarth in order to create and develop a range of high quality foundation training programmes linked to the National Vocational Qualification structure which was first introduced in spring 1989.
Cheynes Training subsequently became the first national training provider for hairdressing when we launched our NVQ programmes in autumn 1989 with the full approval of the UK government.
Today, Cheynes Training operates a full suite of high quality apprenticeship programmes for hairdressers. We work with hundreds of salons across Britain, mainly through our academy partners but also directly with salons helping them to deliver apprenticeship training the Cheynes Training way.
William Howarth is Programme Director and is responsible for day-to-day operations and leads the head office team based in Edinburgh, there is also a small office in central London. Melanie Mitchell is our Technical Director and heads up a team of specialist training advisors who operate throughout England and Scotland.
Apprenticeship programmes operated by Cheynes Training include:
- The Level 2 Diploma for Hair Professionals: launched in May 2017, the diploma has been designed by hairdressing and barbering employers to fully reflect the needs of the hair and barbering industry in England. The standards include units from Level 3 and all apprentices will complete independent end point assessment to ensure they have the skills required to be a successful hair or barbering professional.
- Intermediate Apprenticeships: our Level 2 framework programme is aimed at learners in England who are entering the industry for the first time and which incorporates NVQ Level Two, along with functional skills and other important components. The award is being replaced by the Level 2 Diploma but at present is still available in England.
- Advanced Apprenticeships: incorporating NVQ Level Three and functional skills and is aimed at learners in England who have already completed an Intermediate Apprenticeship programme and who wish to develop their skills.
- Modern Apprenticeships: our foundation programme in Scotland which includes Scottish Vocational Qualifications (SVQ) in Hairdressing along with core skills and is aimed at young people first starting a career in hairdressing. All of the trainee hairdressers within the Cheynes salons complete this programme.
The Cheynes Training team, led by Programme Director William Howarth, has a wealth of knowledge and experience gained over 20 years of operating high quality hair and barbering programmes. We are frequently asked to share our expertise in order to help companies to improve the overall management of their hairdressing education programme.
Our consultancy services start from as little as £495 per day (plus expenses and VAT), in most cases a minimum of two days are required. Consultancy fees for the Programme Director are £1,425 per day (plus expenses and VAT).
A typical consultancy brief requires a half day to gather background information and prepare for the visit; a full day visit involving an on-site review of systems, observing training and assessment taking place and conducting interviews with key personnel involved; this is followed by a half day to complete a short report. Naturally, each brief is tailored to the exact needs of the individual company.
Our consultancy services focus on the four key aspects of successful hairdressing education, these are:
- strengthening training and assessment in order to help the company achieve improved results
- improving quality by introducing simple audit and tracking tools that allow accurate measurement of training performance
- improving information flows so that everyone who needs to know (especially the employer) has a clear picture of exactly what is happening within the company training structure
- reducing cost in order to improve the overall value for money the company achieves from the training system
Should you wish to speak in confidence about how we can help you to improve your hairdressing or barbering education, please contact the Programme Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
To view Cheynes Training Ofsted Report please click here