|Home » Educator » Information|
People Skills – Leading from the Front
There is a saying... the way you walk into the salon in the morning sets the tone for the rest of the day. Every minute of every day, people in the salon are watching and ‘remembering things’ about you and other people in a ‘leadership role’. So, if you are being watched you need to become an example to everyone to look up to!
- Always be early
- Always be positive
- Never be grumpy
- Set high standards in everything you do
This is particularly important when approaching training – as a trainer it is up to you to create the right atmosphere. There is always an atmosphere at training… is it ‘okay’ or is it a truly fantastic atmosphere? Some hints and tips to help create the right atmosphere...
- Be firm but fair and be consistent
- Compliment people on good work
- Be polite, lots of please and thank you's
- Never have favourites
- Use you, your, yours
- Avoid I, me, my, mine
And above all, make training fun! Always be ready to have fun at training sessions, but also know when to be serious!
Always give maximum encouragement - this is best achieved by catching people doing something right - it gives the perfect opportunity to compliment people and make them feel good!
- Compliments must be genuine, anyone can pick up a false compliment
- Always compliment the act not the person… it’s never ‘You were excellent’, instead it’s ‘The way you finished your blow-dry was excellent!’
- If you praise the person, not the act, you may create people who have a very high regard of themselves!
Remember the old saying … what gets rewarded gets repeated
It’s easy to be critical - and that sometimes has to happen! It’s harder to be constructive - and that always must happen! If you need to be critical, remember to think, if that was me, how would I like to be told? And always follow the simple technique…
- Start with a positive
- Discuss your concern – be honest!
- End with a positive
Finally, constantly search for ways to celebrate success, especially…
- Assessments passed
- Great pieces of work completed
- Units achieved
- In fact ... anything that the person is proud of!